Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Getting ready

This web-log is about my pending sailing trip from Prince Edward Island up to Newfoundland, up again to Iceland, and then back down to the British Isles.

A bit of background:

I sailed from Wales (Burry Port) on 15 September 2007 and proceeded to Porto Santo, Grand Canaria, Senegal, The Gambia, Cape Verde, Tobago, Trinidad, British Virgin Islands, Bermuda, Nova Scotia, arriving in Charlottetown, PEI on 12 June 2008. Approximately 7,000 miles and 4 continents in 9 months.

My nephew John joined me in Trinidad sailed with me as far as Bermuda. We did a blog together that you can view with this link: PEI or Bust!

The past 4 weeks I have been waiting for sailing guides to arrive to begin the northern phase of my circumnavigation of the North Atlantic. I was originally planing to visit Labrador and Greenland on my trip back but given the short sailing season for northerly waters and my late departure date those destinations are no longer viable without rushing rushing rushing - with no time to stop and smell the roses.

There are two ways to cruise and get past Newfoundland. The safer route along the south coast and up to St. John's before pushing off for Iceland. The trickier route up the west coast and through the Strait of Belle Isle. Its a narrower passage between the northern tip of Newfoundland and the continent where icebergs the size of mountains flow down from the coast of Labrador.

Today I'm inclined to up the west coast. Up there the nights will be short and in the moon should waxed enough to be able to spot an iceberg at night (before collision).

Pity I can't find anyone to come along but I'm hardly surprised. Sailing the ancient Viking routes is not for the faint-hearted. It helps to be partly mad. Unfortunately most people are I know are sane.

Final preparations are being put in place. More later.

2 comments:

swanzie said...

Next time you could take James (Jim) with you.He is really keen to see an iceberg up close!Not too close tho'.

He is of course making this known from the comfort of the settee.

How long will this adventure take?

Suz xx

ara'deg said...

Be back early September, sea gods willing.

If I do get to sail by an iceburg I'll take a vid clip for Jim.