Saturday, September 20, 2008

Back in Welshland

After 18 days at sea I landed in Tenby on 17 September.

It was a sail not without its up and downs.

We got sucked into two low pressure systems whirling from west to east. Both times we went we passed through the eye of the storm. For 12 odd hours as the evil eye passes over us the screaming wind dies down to a whisper and the needle on the barometer falls to ridiculous low level. Then the howling returns from the opposite direction. For the next 16 to 24 hours we claw our way out.

One day in. One day out.

We survived the first 3 spells unscathed but the last one threw up a monster wave that hit us broadside like a freight train buckling my mast track and ripping my triple reefed main to shreds.

But we carried on with the remaining sails without incident and in a few days were off the SW coast of Ireland.

So now I'm back in sunny south Wales enjoying some warm weather. I'll post my future hopes and sailing plans in a few days.

No comments: