Saturday, August 16, 2008

Staying cool in Reykjavik

I haven't really warmed to Reykjavik. Like most “capital” towns and cities (Cardiff comes to mind) it suffers from an overinflated sense of self importance. Perhaps it's simply trying too hard to be “cosmopolitan” in this rugged northern outpost of civilization. It a place to 'be seen' rather than just 'be'.

Not that Reykjavik is devoid of charm. Far from it. But I don't think it'll be placed high on my list of places to return to soon.

My previous association with this town was that it hosted the remarkable meeting of Cold War leaders, Regan and Gorbachev. I wonder what they thought of the place. Perhaps I should give Gorby a call to see if he concurs with me.

...................................................................................................................................................................


I explained to the Customs officers who came to visit me that a factor compelling me to sail here was the results of a study I heard on the BBC last winter. The study measured the 'happiness levels' of nations. Iceland came out as 2nd happiest nation on the planet. Yes, the officers knew of the study. But they sadly informed me that that study was relevant for last year only. With the recent devaluation in their currency, the kroner, their standing in world happiness levels had sunk considerably. Perhaps money can't buy happiness, but it seems loosing it can take it away.

................................................................................................................................................................

I'm looking forward to visiting a few of the smaller ports on the SW coast of Iceland before heading south for a 500 miles crossing to the outer western isles of Scotland. It's the small outposts that are usually more fun to visit and spend time in. There you're not just another 'face in the crowd' - you're the 'new kid on the block'. People tend to be more interesting. and interested in you.

My last port of call will probably be the port of Vestmannaeyjar on the off lying island of Heimaey, where there was a volcanic eruption in 1973, making the island considerably larger and burying a section of the town under volcanic ash. They call it the Pompey of the North and visitors are welcome to help out in the excavations of buried houses. No skeletons though – everyone was evacuated in time. Velkomin til Vestmannaejar – grab a shovel!

...................................................................................................................................................................

I put together a few brief video clips of my sail up here from Newfoundland and uploaded them to youtube.com – but they came out squished like the last one! Back to the drawing boards. If I can get it sorted before I leave Reykjavik I'll post a link on this blog.

A special hello to Ann, Molly, Melanie, Emma, Karen, Soffi, Harmony, Val, Juliet, Angie, Marlene, Denise, Wendy, Suzanne, Tina, Rosemary, Milly, Gwen, Zoey, Jenny, Claudette, ... and Mandy

till later,
Simon

1 comment:

swanzie said...

Glad to see that you have arrived safely.